Monday, June 4, 2012

Our quest continues...

Amicalola Falls - That's actually a picture that I took with my camera!

Amicalola falls was the next stop on our All About GA tour, in Dawson County, GA. It was absolutely breath-taking and quite peaceful. Amicalola in Cherokee means "tumbling waters." It is the tallest cascade in the southeast at 729 feet. I have seen pictures of the falls a few times, but I had to go see it for myself.


Payton and Makenzie flexing their
muscles after climbing up 425 steps.
The drive to Amicalola Falls is about 1.5 hours from our house in South Atlanta. It is a pretty scenic drive once you make it out of the city. It is a wonderful place to go if you enjoy nature, fishing and light to strenous hiking. The hiker at every level there are a few trails to choose from. Since I have two small girls we hike the light to moderate trails and my oldest daughter, who is 5, was the trail leader. If I had to guess, I would estimate that we hiked about 3 miles. 


Payton sitting creekside
 after lunch.
We started at the middle of the waterfall and then ventured to the top of the falls. Once you climbed the 425 steps to the top, we enjoyed a picnic lunch and lingered by a babbling creek just to enjoy the weather. The weather could not have been any better, it was a refeshing 75 degrees, sunny with a light breeze. After lunch, we headed back down to the bottom of the falls to the reflecting pool. 

On the bridge over the
middle of the cascade.

Once we made it back to our car that was parked near the middle of the falls, we took the kids over to the playground. At the playground, we ran into a curious squirrel that enjoyed a goldfish that Payton dropped on the ground. Believe it or not, the squirrel waited patiently for PJ to drop another one.


All in all, we were out in nature for about 4 hours and we enjoyed every minute. Did I mention what it was only $5 to enter the park and enjoy the entire day!?





There's that crew again!
 

My trail leader



No comments:

Post a Comment