Friday, February 10, 2012

Book Review - Water for Elephants

I wanted to take time to review Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen that I recently finished and tell you what I liked about it. Now that I think about it, this review is perfect timing because it is circus season in Atlanta. The book is basically about a young man who literally stumbles into joining a circus after experiencing a sudden personal loss. He uses everything he has learned or experienced in his life up to the major turning point to his advantage in order to survive. The book really made me focus on what is important in life and the finality of the decisions that we make. I try my best not to say, "If I could go back in time, I would change...", I know that if one thing is changed, everything is changed. Currently, I like my life probably because the laundry is done and put away :).
As I read the prologue of the book, I knew I was going to be hooked until the last page. The characters were so colorful and real, I felt like I was in the book watching from afar. Now I can watch the movie and see if it lives up to the richness of the book. The resounding theme of the book to me,of course, is to live fully in the moment and be present, so that when I look back on my life at my sunset, I will have vivid memories of my life's journey. My final take-away from the book is to try new things no matter how old I am or whatever plans I have made because I never know where it will take me. The adventure may not include joining the circus but it might be just as cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment