Monday, November 14, 2011

Image vs. Humanity

Image: a (1) : a mental picture or impression of something (2) : a mental conception held in common by members of a group and symbolic of a basic attitude and orientation

Humanity: a : the quality or state of being human

These are definitions that I pulled from Merriam-Webster.com. You are probably wondering why I have taken the time to define these words? Well, image and humanity were the first words that came to my mind when I had a chance to dig a little deeper into the sexual abuse scandal @ Penn State. The image of the school, the athletic program, the coach and staff, all had to be preserved at the cost of the stolen innocence and humanity of several young boys. I don't know all the answers and I am sure, as with all scandals, we have only scratched the surface. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that once certain individuals knew or witnessed the act, nothing was done to stop the perversion, only steps taken to preserve and protect an image.

My sister-in-law forwarded me a grand jury recount from the previous investigations and it is horrific to say the least! This is my opinion, Sandusky used his organization as a breeding ground for his potential prey for his somewhat insatiable appetite for little boys. So unfair! The boys already had difficult stories and background but now what... therapy and monetary settlements?!? Money can't heal emotional wounds, it just improves the exterior while the interior still suffers. How many young boys could have been saved from the physical and emotional pain if the assistant who walked in during an incident would have said something the moment he witnessed the act? He just walked out in the name of self-preservation and image... so sad.

I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be for victims and their families, my heart goes out to them as well as my prayers. As a parent, I can't promise I won't hurt someone for the smallest infraction against my kids, once the innocence of childhood is lost, it's gone forever. I say lock me up now, to prevent me from not giving Lady Justice her say. I would take matters into my own hands, literally.

As you read this, let's keep all involved lifted in prayer for healing, forgiveness, repentance and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment